The UM Libraries are in the process of upgrading our Digital Collections platform. In the interim, some users are experiencing problems playing certain audio and video files in our Digital Collections. If you cannot get an AV file to play within CONTENTdm, follow these instructions for Windows 10:
1. Install VLC Media Player. This freeware program can be downloaded from multiple sites, including: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
2. When you locate an audio or video file in CONTENTdm, right click the digital object link
2. Click "Save link as," and save the file to your computer (the desktop is a convenient location for many people)
3. Right click on the saved file and select "Open with," and choose VLC Media Player
To avoid having to select "open with" every time you wish to play a file, follow these steps to make VLC Media Player your default player:
1. Go to start menu at the bottom left of your desktop screen
2. In the search box at the bottom, type “settings," and select "Settings" when it pops up in the search window.
3. Select "Apps" in the Settings window.
4. Select "Default Apps"
5. Select "VLC Media Player" for as the default for both your Music Player and your Video Player
Mac users will need to install VLC media player as well.
1. Download VLC Media Player - https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
2. When you find an AV file you want to play copy the streaming link open VLC > File > Open Network > Paste the link in the URL box then click open and the stream will start.